Could you be our Software Engineer?
The gap in healthy life expectancy between the richest and the poorest is widening. At thejoyclub.com, we’re on a mission to change that. We believe that everyone should enjoy health and happiness in later life, regardless of wealth. So, we have developed a platform to enable our members to afford a more active retirement.
We have just launched The Joy Club platform, with an initial focus on enabling our members to access free, money-making and discounted activities - helping pensions to stretch further and supporting happier and healthier lifestyles. This UK launch is just the beginning, with plans for international expansion and an exciting product roadmap in place. The Joy Club will become the global platform for meeting the needs of retirees.
**Please note we are currently only able to accept UK based applicants**
As our Software Engineer, you’ll be building a stable and scalable platform that can perform under increasing business demand as we enter a high-velocity stage of development. This will include: working directly with the Head of Engineering, to support the transition from agency to in-house; contributing to a fun and collaborative team culture that strives for high-quality engineering solutions; and delivering on the product and engineering roadmap, to create an efficient platform for the team and our retired members.
Do you set high standards for the quality of your work and focus on continuous improvement? Are you a problem solver who loves delving into data to identify patterns, define problems and inspire software solutions? Are you a confident communicator with a team-spirited approach, motivated by collaboration and by positively enabling the work of others? If you answered yes to those three questions, keep reading.
You’ll want to be our Software Engineer because
- You’ll be joining us just after launch and pre-series A funding, with lots of opportunities to shape direction and culture.
- You’ll be our first engineering team hire, working directly with the Head of Engineering to build and develop The Joy Club platform.
- You’ll be integral to managing our transition from agency to in-house software engineering.
- You’ll have the genuine satisfaction of innovating for a population that has been too-long overlooked - and who need, want and deserve tailored products and services.
- You’ll grow with us rapidly as we enter the next stages of The Joy Club’s development.
We’ll want you to be our Software Engineer, if you have
- Worked on a high traffic application.
- Successful experience with: Agile, React, JS, Node, JS, ElasticSearch, GraphQL and API integration (ideally a full stack engineering background).
You’ll have been successful as our Software Engineer, if in one year’s time you have
- Ensured that all aspects of The Joy Club platform are working and that opinion of the platform’s technical efficiency is positive.
- Delivered features at a high-velocity; they are on time and bug free.
- Increased company value and investment growth as a result of software engineering improvements.
- Collaborated with engineering teammates - contributing to healthy code, a safe feedback environment and a fun team community which is reflected in high scores in the culture section of team health checks.
When you’re successful in role, you’ll feel
- Excited by the boundless opportunities for innovation.
- Impatient to make an impact.
- Appreciated by your team members.
- Deeply rewarded by the impact your work has on the lives of our members.
- Buoyed by the high-growth trajectory and what that means for the scale of impact we can have.
You’ll be given equity and freedom, to give you a genuine sense of ownership of The Joy Club’s vision and ambition. Together, we’ll build a platform that will become globally recognised as the place to go for health and happiness in later life.
- The Salary range is £30,000 - £47,500 per annum. This is a full time role
Other benefits include
- Generous holiday allowance: 27 days holiday + bank holidays + you get your birthday off.
- In line with the ethos and social mission of The Joy Club, we go above statutory pension contribution: we make a 5% employer contribution.
- Generous equity comp through our EMI scheme.
- We were born during lockdown, so are remote-first - you'll need to be available for all-hands meetings every c2 weeks in London, when it's safe for that to happen, but otherwise you can work wherever suits you best.
- It's our ambition to be the most joyful place to work - we'll engage you and the rest of the team in the continuing development of The Joy Club benefits package.